It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 pm 

Hey, I'm looking for some technical help with a 2006 A3 2.0 TDI (BKD engine 140bhp with 75K). For a month or so i had problems at motorway speeds (80 mph+) of the car entering limp mode. Sometimes it gave a fault code, sometimes it didn't. It was however P0234 (overboost). I put this down to a possible carbon build up on the turbine vanes (apparantly a common issue). The turbo eventually packed in (main bearing) and i'm now enjoying a recon turbo. Problem is, it has still got the limp mode issue at higher speeds as before-giving the same fault code-overboost. I have an OBDII reader and the last fault gave me the following freeze frame data:
DTCFRZF P0234
LOAD_PCT (%) 71.4
ETC (F) 198
MAP (inHg) 69.4
RPM (/min) 3119
VSS (mph) 85
MAF (lb/min) 15.050
TP (%) 94.9

Is there anything in the above that could point me in the direction of finding what the problem is?
Alternatively has anyone experienced this and what are the possible problems?

Thanks in advance, I hope i've given enough info :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:38 pm 

Drives: Forwards normally
http://www.scottishvag.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=82039

Cant find the OP but if you read this thread a bit further down you will get the jist of it.

Sticky turbo caused by carbon build up :rthumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:41 pm 

Thanks, but I'm ruling out the sticky vanes as it's a new turbo, had only done 10 miles on it before it went into limp mode, overboost condition (as old turbo did). I checked the actuator yesterday and it was smooth and free,should it be easy to move the turbo vane pivot arm with the actuator rod detached?
Also there is no n75 valve, just a plastic box with around 7 small pipes going into it..is it likely this control box is faulty? Having a nightmare with this!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:50 pm 

Drives: Forwards normally
Probably the black box yeah, they just incorporated all the valves into one one the newer models so N75 is in the box. 99% if the time overboost issues are sticky veins so if you have a new turbo and it's the same I would want to see several ECU/sensor signals as N75 issues usually cause underboost issues as aposed to overboost. ie a pressure/temp sensor giving a false value that causes overboost