It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 pm 

hi there ive done a bit of digging on various forums about this but people who have invested thier time and money on this mod seem reluctant to pass on thier " secrets" -- seems reasonable if they have done all the research not to just pass it on for free.

so i have a wee project that im gonna start to the wifes runabout and any " yes or no " to anything im suggesting could save me a bit of time down the line

REASON FOR MOD
well got the wife a wee golf mk3 tdi 1z 90 bhp supposedly but i think its way more powerful, to runabout to the shops etc but fuelling is not 100% -- with her being preggers and not working im the only earner and have a subaru build on at the moment so money is tight - fuel prices are going up at a mental rate and she is asking me for a fiver every day to put fuel in the motor - 10 miles tops
evidence of previous owner at some point messin around with stuff making an arse of it.
im not worried about dramatic power loss - just better fuel economy for the missus as she has actually ran dry a couple of times for me to go out with the van to bale her out at the road side.

the car is not worth spending any money for either vag-com registration or putting it in to an autoelectrics for setting up and possibly parts

MOTOR SYMPTOMS
starting fine on these cold mornings with out heater plugs ( not right - timing too advanced and qa too rich?)
car has plenty of pull low down and is actually quite rapid and possibly chipped / has new clean looking injectors ( maybey bigger nozzles )? - was sitting behind an audi 2.2 tdi badged a4 estate the other day that undertook me and cut my nose off - chased it to give the hand gusture and i was sitting up its hoop and it couldnt get away from me until i got greedy with the throttle overtaking it and the power seemed to retardation---- dont know what the audi power figure is but i bet its over 110 bhp easy------golf is really driveable ok but just using the diesel like mad

using excess fuel around town with intermittent excess smoke under load - not as bad with the fuel on a motorway journey but still uses too much...
on motorway under a certain load the power pulls back as if its going into limp but release pedal and drives ok again until you get too greedy with the pedal again.
slight shuddering at low down revs as if pump internals are constantly adjusting - searching

fault codes found were maf sensor interupt - swapped pierburg mafs with a friends motor but no difference in running costs to either motor

PLANS

Now i have an industrial vw engine put aside for me as payment to a favour so it is not a big cost outlay for me

the engine details are
engine code ADG 1.9l diesel rated at 33kw @ 2800 rpm - thats with the restrictive industrial manifolds i guess
i have checked over the engine to find it running with no leaks , no excess smoke and sounding sweet with no egr to coke up manifolds and the top end sounds rattle free - timing belt looks good but will prob change it whilst not fitted to car if going to fit it
compression pressures are 32 bar evenly across the cylinders so seems a good wee workhorse of an engine
will longmotor with pump take place of the 1z engine?
whats the deal fitting a throttle cable? - new pedal box and cable? - just cable?

or

20 minute injection pump swap over to my 1z engine
i have dial guage to set up pump timing but never needed to use it before with these engines
any issues with pump swap over? underpowered for the difference in injectors between the two engines?
again cable fitment?

gonna see about taking a few days off work in a few weeks to takle this trial and error with the pump first and possibly swapping pump heads if needed.

going for maximum economy / less hassle so hope the pump swap works fine on my original engine
then see about putting the things on ebay that i have left over

sorry this has dragged on!
any thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm 

Drives: Subaru wrx / golf gttdi
Stop begin a tight arse an put more jungle juice in your lucky to get 4 litres of diesel for a 5 spot now a days a have a gt130 and it gets 15mpg around town and 35 tops on the motorway

Has it had a service not alot of people see the point but it really does help with fuel

Sounds like it has had a map if it's going into limp mode proberly over boosting is the we boost solenoid working ok that could cause it to over boost it bolts onto the bulkhead with alot of vac pipes running into it Could also be making it run like a burst arse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:32 pm 

aye serviced it fuel/ oil/ air/ along with new wishbone bushes strut top mounts rear wheel bearings and another couple of wee jobs
boost control solenoid working fine electrically but the control power to it may be faulty?
being a tightwad due to reasons i stated above lol - not me using it all the time so no need for speed - got motorbikes and a 350bhp impreza when finished the build - thats even better on the fuel possibly!
4 litres -10 miles -lot less than 15mpg around town - id say excessive for a 1.9tdi - canny keep it going like this!

just thinking i have most of the hardware there to convert to an economical runaround for the missus - if possible

and make some money on parts left over - win win result if i can pull it off

cheers
Rob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm 

Drives: Subaru wrx / golf gttdi
Fill it up with veggie oil :) it works got to do a filter every 4 months but hey saves in the long run

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm 

hehe yeah ill get the chips on then give that a bash until i get the project underway

then ill report back with the results

for my purposes any research ive done comes up with scary looking hybrid pumps needing bought n that like disco pumps and lt pumps both modified and of the same bosch brand- but i think its the folk that have sussed it out just trying to protect thier investment by making it sound worse than it is
at the end of the day the mechanical ve pump is pretty simple with adjustable settings to fine tune for my needs - only output capacity of the injection to a different type of injector im hoping will be fine for cold starts and getting to around 2800rpm max

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm 

whats the cable deal?

pedal box from a mk2 or summink?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 pm 

Drives: Bora 150 TDI SPORT
Quote:
Stop begin a tight bottom an put more jungle juice in your lucky to get 4 litres of diesel for a 5 spot now a days a have a gt130 and it gets 15mpg around town and 35 tops on the motorway

35 on the motorway?!? You've either got a really heavy right foot or theres something up with it. I've got a 150 tdi and on the motorway I get high 40's!!!! If I take it really easy I can get 64 mpg!!!!!!!

Quote:
on motorway under a certain load the power pulls back as if its going into limp but release pedal and drives ok again until you get too greedy with the pedal again.

My mk3 tdi does the exact same thing but its not quick lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 pm 

Drives: Bora Highline Tdi, Mk1 Golf Gti...
I'm having the same problem with my mk3 8v gti, runs fine when it's cold but once it's heated up it struggle to stay at a constant speed on the motorway, to acceleratei have to put my foot to the floor and still it struggles, I used to be able to get about 32mpg but I only get about 15mpg, told it could be the Map sensor which is in the ecu ? I'm putting it into a garage to get checked on a diagnostic computer, so hopefully this sheds some light on the situation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:49 am 

lost intrest in the car - wife is due soon then getting a hrv or something

being used as a daily driver fine but tax due end april prob scrap or break if enough intrest